Recommended by the Park
Our farm is located in the area of these very beautifull and wild zone and it is for this reason that we will have the opportunity to give our guests all the necessary information to take advantage of the many services and activities in the Park of Maremma. Activities, including hiking in the park, to the sea, canoe trips on the River Ombrone, tastings of typical products and much more, are available on the dedicated website: “www.visitailparco.com”
As we’re suggested from the park of maremma, our guests can have a discount to make excursion in this area or for entrance in Marina di Alberese. Possibility of booking short cruises in the tuscan islands national park (various routes including a visit to Giglio island, Giannutri, Montecristo, Pianosa and the island of Elba).
Il Parco Naturale Regionale della Maremma è stato istituito nel 1975 ma, nonostante le sue ridotte dimensioni (circa 10.000 ha) ed i pochi anni di vita, in poco tempo è divenuto un punto di riferimento per un sempre maggior numero di persone. Nel 1993 è stato insignito del Diploma di Parco Europeo rilasciato dal Consiglio d´ Europa.
La visita del Parco sarà sicuramente un’esperienza piacevole e formativa, ma dobbiamo ricordarci che non è uno zoo, gli animali non sempre possono essere visti poichè vivno liberi all’interno del Parco della Maremma.
The visit to the Park is only possible on foot; the access routes to the itineraries are two: Alberese and Talamone. For routes departing from Alberese, access is normally possible every day. For any information regarding the timetable and the way of visiting, it is advisable to contact the Park Visitor Center.
It is only a few kilometers from the most beautiful beaches of the Maremma coast and only 2.5 km from Alberese where you can find all types of service, and in the popular taverns and folk festivals you can enjoy typical dishes of Maremma cuisine.
from the most beautiful areas
From our farm you can easily reach the most beautiful areas of the Maremma coast such as the Talamone, Castiglione della Pescaia or Punt’Ala; the unspoilt beach of Cala Violina, or you can reach Argentario crossing the characteristic lagoon surrounding the village of Orbetello. Nearby you can find the Terme di Saturnia with its lovely natural waterfalls or the relaxing swimming pools.
Monte Argentario was most likely in origin an island subsequently “anchored” to the Tyrrhenian coast by the Feniglia and Giannella landstrips, and formed by the accumulation of silt transported by the rivers and sea currents.The first human settlement surely dates back to a distant era, confirmed by the numerous archaeological artifacts recovered both in the Cave of Straits and in that of the Cala dei Santi.Many of the caverns were inhabited, one of which was rather capacious:the “Cave of the Grand Duke,” called by this name in honor of Leopoldo of Lorena, over one km in length, which during its excavation revealed a small lake 50 m from the entrance. In regard to its geographical position, which places it at the center of the Tyrrhenian Sea, the Argentario was considered a ecure landing place by the first navigators.Of extraordinary strategic value, the Promontory was equipped with look-out towers and signals in order to better face the constant danger of raids by sea, among which should be remembered that of Pirate Khair ad Din called “Redbeard,” who in 1544 plundered and looted the village of Porto Ercole. The very first works of a defensive nature date back to the Bronze Age; however, only in the XV century under the rule of the Republic of Siena did a real defensive system that globally involved the coast of the Promontory begin to take form.Anyway, credit goes to the Spanish for having, in just a few years time, transformed Monte Argentario into a powerful war machine with a formidable fortified complex, superior in number and quality to that of any other in existence in Tuscany.In this manner, the State of Command was instituted that included Orbetello, Porto Ercole, Porto S. Stefano and Talamone, to which, in 1602 the fortified town of Porto Longone on Elba Island was added.The Promontory, entirely mountainous (635 m) is characterized by steep, rocky coasts, where one can admire the famous dwarf palm tree that spontaneously grows on site and is covered in thick Mediterranean bramble that alternates with olive, wine and fruit tree cultivation.The Argentarian economy, once exclusively based on fishing, now finds its main resource in tourism.
Giardino dei Tarocchi
The Tarot Garden is located at the foot of Capalbio surrounded by the Mediterranean , a place full of charm and almost timeless . It is the largest and most challenging work conceived and created by Niki de Saint Phalle in 1955 , in Barcelona , he saw for the first time the works of Gaudi and from this experience he developed the idea of building his own Garden of Joy , a place meeting between man and nature. The land was donated by his friend Marella Caracciolo Agnelli and work began in 1980.
The sculptures are inspired by Tarot cards that Niki was not just a game but also represented a metaphor for life : there is the Empress , in the form of a sphinx , the force represented as a woman holding a dragon on a leash , and the other 20 sculptures inspired by the major arcana .
One of his sculptures was added to some of his friend Jean Tiguely iron contraption , which contrasts with the colors and round shapes Niki , also , by the will of the artist, the friend, the architect Mario Botta has made an entrance to the garden create contrast with his work : it is a stone wall , similar to that of a fortress , which emphasizes the division between the outer world and the inner one.
The creation of this garden was long and difficult , even for the strong arthritis that struck Niki during the works by preventing it from moving about , but the enthusiasm , faith and love for this project helped her to complete ‘ work in 1995.
For the artist’s desire can not be guided tours inside the Garden in order to safeguard the freedom of movement and atmosphere that require esoteric Tarot.
Terme di Saturnia
This waterfall is very famous in Tuscany because is an open-air free hot spring. The waters of Saturnia Therme are sulphureous-carbonic-sulphate-bicarbonate-alkaline. The smell is quite strong because of the sulphurous. Bathing in these kind of water is indicated in the treatments of: digestive system diseases, female genital organs and female urinary tracts, nose and throat diseases, dental diseases and respiratory deseases. It’s eve used for arthrosis, rheumatism, osteoarticular diseases, vascular diseases and all kind of skin diseases.
The origins of Pitigliano, one of the principle hilltop towns of the Grosseto countryside, date back to the Bronze Age. The presence of the Etruscan civilization is evident in the remains of ancient necropolises and above all in the “Via Cave:” streets carved from tufa, volcanic rock; a dominant geological element of this territory.Pitigliano, throughout the various eras, haschanged hands many times:from the Aldobrandeschi to the earldom of the Orsini family until the XVII century when it became part of the Medici Grand Duchy of Tuscany and subsequently that of the Lorena family.Situated in a territorial environment rich in natural and historical-archaeological sites, Pitigliano represents an ideal starting point for unforgettable excursions. Moreover, our guests will find an assortment of high-quality wines chosen among eight DOC wines produced by the Province of Grosseto territories and cared for by the Sommelier, Signora Daniela, who is always available in the Agritourism to give advice and interesting bits of information about the world of wine, as she is part of the family that owns the business.
Capalbio, is the last council located in the south part of Tuscany. It’s surrounded by impressive fifteenth-century walls. The access to the village is thru an ancient seines style door. In the area it’s easy to find Restaurants which serve typical meal made with wild-boar and wildfowl. Besides its beautiful beach, characteristic from a dark color and favorite destination by an Elite tourism, just 20 km far away there are the beautiful Silver Coast’s wild beaches. The nearest promontory “Monte Argentario” offers a breath-taking spectacles with wonderful cliffs.
Castiglione d. Pescaia
Castiglione della Pescaia, an ancient village overlooking the sea is located between Punta Ala and Marina di Grosseto. The ancient part is a balcony over the Tyrrhenian Sea.It is the site of a tourist port that offers daily excursions to the islands of the Tuscan Archipelago.
Castiglione della Pescaia vaunts very ancient origins:the first traces of populations in this zone date back to approximately 60,000 years ago, while the first urban settlement was situated in Vetulonia, the ancient city that the Etruscans founded near Lake Prile (no longer in existence).Instead, the Romans founded the village of Salebrone, famous for its mild climate, lake teeming with fish and surroundings rich in game.After the fall of the Roman Empire and the Barbarian raids, in 962 Castiglione was given to Pisa by Ottone I of Sassonia, Emperor of Germany.Pisa took advantage of the wealth, however neglected to take care of the shelving of the port and of the waters of Lake Prile, which became stagnant and led to rising malaria.
Old town, (almost 2.000 years) situated on a hill at 380 meters above sea level, and approximately 15 km from the “ Golfo del Sole”.
Massa Marittima’s history is closely linked to the mines of silver, copper, pyrite of the “Colline Metallifere”, exploited since the first metal age (3rd millennium BC) and then mostly in Etruscan and medieval-age. The mines were later reactivated from 1830 until 1970
Massa Marittima still keeps its Medieval style, the 14th century is the heyday economic, political, demographic and cultural, during this century were built the most prestigious artistic buildings and monumental, those that still characterize the urban structure of the village. You cannot miss the “Balestro del Girifalco” race between the Crossbowmen of districs of the city, but is also a very exiting historical evocation.
Vetulonia is an ancient Etruscan village which gave to the Romans the emblems of fasces and axe. Vetulonia – Holiday in aurora hotelVetulonia joins its maximum glory in the centuries between the VII and the VI b.C., it still retains many memories of its ancient power. After the Etruscans Golden-age, Vetulonia declined, and in the year 1181 they built the “Colonna” Castle, a fortified establishment, in order to defend the population. The Colonna Castle had impressive city walls which today still remain a few traces. Close to the village is located the famous Etruscan Necropolis. Nowadays there is lots of interesting tombs to visit, most significant are the “TOMBA DEL DIAVOLINO” and “TOMBA DELLA PETRERA”, you can see them both driving by the road direction “Buriano”. In the village you can visit an archaeological museum, newly opened, with finds of great value. You can also admire a suggestive hilly countryside landscape.
Siena lies down on three hills between the sources of Arbia and Elsa rivers. It’s a industrial and agricultural centre, rich in works of art and monuments; it’s very important all around the world for his Palio. You visit the province during the whole year: in summer is a cool place, in winter for skiing sports and in spring for the beauties of nature. Founded from the Etruschi, Siena was a roman colony during the epic deeds of Augusto. It became seat of bishop in the ‘700 after the Longobard occupation, but in XI century was imposed itself as lay commune. Sour fights divided Siena from Florence, insomuch that Florence, in 1260, was defeated in Montaperti. After the governments of several lordships, the city fell under the imperial dominion and belonged to Mediceo’ State, then Lorenese State until 1859; in this date was annexed to the Reign of ltalia.